Sam Hall

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sat Oct 31 22:38:20 UTC 2009

Those of you who are folkies may be familiar with John Roberts and Tony Barrand, who are still performing today.  In the seventies they put together an English Music Hall show (along with a number of friends) which consisted of late nineteenth century Music Hall songs (Champagne Charlie, Watcha Ria, Hold Your Hand Out, Naughty Boy, Sweeney Todd (not the Sondheim version) etc.)  One of the songs was indeed Sam Hall, and the mighty curse was 'Damn their eyes' (and the last verse was 'Damn your eyes!').
There are a couple of unofficial recordings of the show, one of which I own and have recently digitized.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)