"drunk riding"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 2 03:57:35 UTC 2009

Well, strictly speaking, yes. Back in the day, he produced a PBS
documentary about the town, called "Marshall, Texas! Marshall, Texas!"
Though he was born in Oklahoma, he grew up in Marshall and counts it
as his hometown. For the town's fiftieth anniversary celebration, he
and George "Ol' Joidge" Foreman, Olympic boxing gold-medalist,
oldest-ever world heavyweight boxing champion, and TV shill for
Meineke Brakes, who is a Marshall native, were grand marshals.

But, of course, neither uses in public speaking the same version of
the local dialect that he would use, were he back home in the 'hood,
'mongst famblih 'n' fre-ins. And, like me, neither has actually
resided there in years.

-Wilson

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Alison Murie<sagehen7470 at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at ATT.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "drunk riding"
>
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: "drunk riding"
>>
>> I share your confusion! A drunk riding alone on a motorcycle isn't
>> just *riding* drunk. He's also *driving* drunk on a motorcycle, (it)
>> seem like to me, (as we say in ETX BE; sometimes, it annoys me that I
>> have not the least idea of what the local white dialect is/was like,
>> thanks to the *rigid*, Deep-South-style segregation practiced in
>> Marshall in my day; sadly, according to the blog, _I'm from Marshall,
>> Texas_, written by a white woman, things really haven't changed much,
>> since she makes a point of calling Marshall "racist") just as a drunk
>> riding alone in a car is driving it. Why bleep with the language over
>> this triviality?
>>
>> -Wilson
> Would Bill Moyers' accent qualify as ETX?  He worked for a while, when
> he was a kid, on the newspaper in Marshall.
> AM

-Wilson
–––
-----