"drunk riding"

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed Sep 2 16:11:18 UTC 2009

Well, let's see: You could be drunk while driving a nail (ouch), drunk while
driving someone crazy, drunk while driving someone to drink (!), drunk while
driving a hard bargain, drunk while driving in a run, drunk while driving on
the tee. And a bunch of others too, I dare say.
DAD

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Victor Steinbok
Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 12:53 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "drunk riding"

When in doubt, check the legal standards ;-)

There is DUI and DWI, but I have also seen OUI--operating [a motor
vehicle] under [the] influence [of] [--fill the blank--]

Coast Guard has no problem stopping people for drunk boating--and it's
not just the people at the helm. The same goes for some police
departments that have their own boat patrol and access to a substantial
body of fresh water. I've seen reports of OUI on the water, but I
wouldn't be able to tell what the general trend is.

    VS-)