" to shod " !!

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Sep 2 18:23:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 02:17:40PM -0400, Laurence Horn wrote:
> At 2:09 PM -0400 9/2/09, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> At 1:55 PM -0400 9/2/09, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>> It means "To runners who are shod, ... " = "To runners who have shoes
>>> on, ... " right? What's wrong with that? That's *nothing* like
>>>
>>> "As he quietly and carefully _trodded_ the almost-unseen trail, he was
>>> alert to the possibility of booby-traps."
>>>

>> I agree that Alison's example involves a participial adjective
>> modifying "runners", and that "to shod" is not a constituent there.
>> But it's not hard to google up examples where it is:
>
> oops.  I meant to include some "to shod" examples verifying this claim.
>
> How much does it cost to shod a horse?

[etc.]

For what it's worth, I became aware some years ago that I
internally thought of the verb _trod_ as being present tense;
that is, although I don't think I ever said it aloud, I'd
always think of statements like "I'm going to trod on that
can."

I don't know why my mind did this.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED