" to shod " !!

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 2 19:40:48 UTC 2009

Nice example, Steve! For me, the regionalism was "a-loose."

"I thought that I had that tied down, but it came a-loose."

"He told me that he had tightened it, but it was a-loose when I checked it."

When I was first told that "a-loose" wasn't standard, I was so stunned
and angry that I simply refused to believe it. I checked damned near
every dictionary that there is, including Funk & Wagnall's. I can tell
you, I was truly shocked and *very* surprised not to find it. In fact,
I was simply amazed. It was as though someone had told me that _is_
with a singular subject was non-standard and research showed that to
be true.

-Wilson

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Steve Kl.<stevekl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Steve Kl." <stevekl at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: " to shod " !!
>
> Maybe it's because "boughten" is so thoroughly in my idolect*, but if you
> were to ask me blindly to fill in the blank, I'd probably say "To shodden
> runners..." for what it's worth.
> *After it was called to my attention that boughten was a regionalism [I was
> very surprised - I had no clue it was regional], once when I was home I
> heard my mom, who used to bake her own bread in the 70s, in a discussion
> about food preparation, utter "Anymore, I buy boughten bread."
>
> (If you can make homemade bread, I don't see a problem with buying boughten
> bread.) At any rate boughten stands as an opposite to homemade.)
>
> But, back to shod/shodden.
>

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: " to shod " !!

>> > oops.  I meant to include some "to shod" examples verifying this claim.
>> >
>> > How much does it cost to shod a horse?
>>
>> [etc.]
>>
>> For what it's worth, I became aware some years ago that I
>> internally thought of the verb _trod_ as being present tense;
>> that is, although I don't think I ever said it aloud, I'd
>> always think of statements like "I'm going to trod on that
>> can."
>>
>> I don't know why my mind did this.
>>
>> Jesse Sheidlower
>> OED