"Li'l Abner"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 3 01:45:03 UTC 2009

In the eye-dialect used by Al Capp in his comic strip, the inhabitants
of Dogpatch, Kentucky, used "yo' " (his spelling) for "you." Weird!

A few days ago, I was listening to a recording by a Texas bluesman of
the '30's when I suddenly noticed that, the way that he pronounced
"you," damned if it didn't sound *very* close to, if not exactly the
same as, _yo'_ [jo]!

I guess that Capp wasn't completely off his rocker, after all.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain