From NYTimes.com: "A Mannah of Speaking"

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Sep 3 19:29:15 UTC 2009

The standard description of this vowel (i.e. the one that is the result of what I believe is called 'Southern Smoothing' (not to be confused with Southern Smoothies, which are different, but tastier) is Cardinal Vowel no. 4, i.e. the one that has the shape a,  the standard printed letter.  Most non-southern Americans have a more central vowel in words like 'ah'.
On the other hand, it's quite close to the vowel in Northern Cities versions of the formerly back vowel that used to be 'short-o'.
Damn, I wish we had easier access to IPA, but html makes the ADS-L server throw up.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)