tout = "to boast (about)"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 5 15:38:44 UTC 2009

If you examine the exx. closely, I believe you'll find that NPR's usage is
different.

The dictionary exx. are strictly compatible with "to promote or recommend."

The 1978 ex. indeed is moving in the present direction and may well be
considered an early example.  If I tout Jerry Augustine _as_ the ace of my
staff, I'm  boasting of him while also promoting him (to the public).

Sen. Specter, however, is said  to _be able_ to "tout" the endorsements. But
he cannot reasonably _promote_ or _recommend_ them to the public. All he
_can_ do, realistically, is boast about having them.

JL