cutlery

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Mon Sep 7 10:31:17 UTC 2009

I think Tesco is just being idiotic and there is no such law referring to
cutlery.  Most shops that have (BrE) take-away/(AmE) to-go food have
plastic knives, forks and spoons available for one to take.  Tesco has a
reputation as a cheapskate company, so I wouldn't be surprised if they
overinterpret the law.

There's some discussion of cutlery v(s) silverware on my blog, if it's of
interest:
<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2008/09/stemware-and-other-wares.html>

In terms of gross misrepresentations (or wild imaginings) of British law
that I've heard from America recently, this one is rather tame!  ;-)

Lynne

--On 06 September 2009 21:35 -0400 Mark Mandel <Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM>

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Arts B357
University of Sussex