cutlery

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Sep 7 12:54:31 UTC 2009

Here's what the OED says about "flatware":

flat-ware, (a) 'plates, dishes, saucers and the like, collectively,
as distinguished from hollow-ware' (Cent. Dict.); (b) (esp. U.S.)
domestic cutlery.

So by analogy from pottery to metal?

As an aside, this makes me wonder what "foreign cutlery" would
be.  (Purely rhetorical -- I do know they mean "home" as opposed to,
say, street switchblades or former prison spoons.)

Joel