New eggcorn?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Sep 8 15:20:38 UTC 2009

        I don't think it's an error.  I believe the sense is that,
although the U.S. government is an ally of the Pakistani government, the
Pakistani people think of the U.S. not as the ally it officially is, but
as an enemy.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Bill Palmer
Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 10:43 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: New eggcorn?

McClatchy Newspapers reports today that "Pakistanis regard the U.S.,
*formally* a close ally,...as a hostile power."

I do not find this in the DB, which seems remarkable, as it seems like a
very common error. Did I not look far enough?

Given the state of the profession today, I am not surprised to see this
transgression committed by the "journalisterati".  Thanks and credit to
Wilson G for the idea for this coinage.

Bill Palmer