New eggcorn?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 8 17:45:35 UTC 2009

At 11:20 AM -0400 9/8/09, Baker, John wrote:
>         I don't think it's an error.  I believe the sense is that,
>although the U.S. government is an ally of the Pakistani government, the
>Pakistani people think of the U.S. not as the ally it officially is, but
>as an enemy.
>

>John Baker

What we'd need (and I'm sure we'd find if we looked hard enough) are
examples like

"John, formally Jane's husband, is now married to Sue."

Barring bigamy, this would have to involve a reinterpretation or
malapropism or whatever.

Of course if John and Sue showed up for their ceremony formerly
dressed, that would be equally creative.

LH