"collateral damage"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 10 12:46:05 UTC 2009

Certainly the phrase came to linguistic attention only in 1991.  ISTR a news
conference at which a press officer initially described civilian deaths as
"possible collateral damage" - not necessarily to dismiss them (an
investigation was underway) but to sound "objective and professional."

I believe the term's notoriety stems from that incident.
JL