A possible insight into "posh."

Evan Morris words1 at WORD-DETECTIVE.COM
Fri Sep 11 03:36:06 UTC 2009

No, because you still need to watch ahead for traffic, and even at night
oncoming ships/boats should have a bow light.  The channel markers just
tell you where the water is clear, deep enough, and free of moored
boats, etc.   You were responsible for keeping oncoming traffic to your
port side.

All of which didn't prevent coming back into the harbor late on a
Saturday night a dicey proposition, given how many weekend boaters had
spent the day drinking.

Dave Hause wrote:
> But if the red channel markers are to port on the outbound leg and to
> starboard on the return, doesn't that set up head-on collisions?
> Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
> Waynesville, MO

Evan Morris
words1 at word-detective.com