fvck (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Sep 11 19:12:47 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Probably too late for the new edition of Jesse's "The F Word", but . . .

I just read somewhere that "fvck" is a common euphemism for "fuck" at
MIT, likely resulting from the Latinate spelling on the neoclassical
buildings.

Here are a couple of examples:
_The Tech_, vol 125 #44 10/4/2005
"FVCKED" [comic strip title] p 8
http://tech.mit.edu/V125/PDF/N44.pdf

_The Tech_, vol 124 #16 4/2/2004
"Positive Sinking" by Akshay Patil p 7 col 1
"That's right, while you sleep soundly in your beds Sundays at 5 p.m.,
unaware of the turmoil that surrounds us, I hear all the juicy gossip
about who's getting fvcked by the Institvte this week."
[Note that "Institvte" is similarly misspelled.]
http://tech.mit.edu/V124/PDF/N16.pdf