The OED and "adulterous" & "adultery"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 12 19:47:07 UTC 2009

At 9/12/2009 02:39 PM, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
>Where is there a law that says anything about conception? Would a
>married man who had intercourse with an 80-year-old woman not be
>guilty of adultery? Or if he had anal intercourse with a fertile young woman?
>
>Just wondering.

Me too -- about the law in modern times.

In colonial New England (i.e., before 1692), adultery would only have
been charged in an opposite-sex circumstance, specifically of a man
with a married woman; that is how the law was written.  I was
probably wrong to imply that the possibility of conception was a
crucial factor in charging adultery.  (I don't recall reading
anything particular to an infertile married woman.)

The possibility of conception -- or rather its absence -- was the
significant factor in considering a sexual act "unnatural".  Thus
anal intercourse by a man with a fertile young woman, even if she
were married, would have been presented as sodomy (a capital crime),
not adultery, as would male-male sexual activity.  (Sexual activity
between two women was not sodomy by law, with possibly no cases
having been discovered -- it would be difficult to produce witnesses
or other evidence.  If such a case had been presented, the charge
would have been something like "unnatural acts".)

Joel