bacabre

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 13 19:55:04 UTC 2009

This kind of sound shift - /m/ > /b/ - is quite common in the
historical development of language. But, as a non-typist - or should
that be, "non-keyboarder"? - myself, I'm forced by Ockham's Razor to
suggest that this case may be a mere consequence of a simple
mis-keying, since B and M are separated only by N, as much as I'd like
to write a mini-introduction to historical linguistics.

-Wilson

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: bacabre
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From a student at San Francisco State in 2007:
>>
>> Â "i have also heard the actual wax recording whcih sounds so bacabre, but in
>> fact is an amazing experience"
>>
>> http://vote.sparklit.com/comments.spark?contentID=1047430&pollID=1000416
>>
>> She's talking about Tennyson's top-forty recording in 1892 of "The Charge of
>> the Light Brigade."
>>
>> It doesn't strike me as particularly bacabre.
>
> Where do you think the <b> is coming from?
>
> --
> Randy Alexander
> Jilin City, China
> My Manchu studies blog: