bacabre

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 13 22:45:23 UTC 2009

My immediate suspicion was, as Randy suggests, that she had a cold. However,
I reasoned that that, even if true, should not have affected her typing.

My second hypothesis was Wilson's: a mere typo.  However, in my own
experience, while it is E-Z to hit an adjacent key, it is uncommon to hit
one two keys over.  Not impossible, but not likely.

The final hypothesis (which I may use as the title for my next
majormotionpicture): the "b" comes partly from mishearing, partly from
Lauren Bacall.

Why should it have to make sense?

JL
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: bacabre

> but in
> >>>

> http://vote.sparklit.com/comments.spark?contentID=1047430&pollID=1000416

> Charge of

> >> Where do you think the <b> is coming from?
> > --
> >
> > Â From "bizarre" maybe.
>
> This is more what I was looking for, unless as per Wilson's language
> change perspective, the speaker would say "hey bom, could you bake be
> some buffins?"
>
> --
> Randy Alexander
> Jilin City, China
> My Manchu studies blog:
> http://www.bjshengr.com/manchu

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"