bacabre

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 14 04:57:51 UTC 2009

Sigh! I just want to testify that, IME, it's not nearly so difficult
as even a trivially-skilled keyboarder might assume. I keyboard with
one finger while looking at the keyboard, yet I'm sometimes stunned
when I look up to see the (non-)final result.

-Wilson

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: bacabre
>
> My immediate suspicion was, as Randy suggests, that she had a cold. However=
> ,
> I reasoned that that, even if true, should not have affected her typing.
>
> My second hypothesis was Wilson's: a mere typo.  However, in my own
> experience, while it is E-Z to hit an adjacent key, it is uncommon to hit
> one two keys over.  Not impossible, but not likely.
>
> The final hypothesis (which I may use as the title for my next
> majormotionpicture): the "b" comes partly from mishearing, partly from
> Lauren Bacall.
>
> Why should it have to make sense?
>
> JL
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Randy Alexander
> <strangeguitars at gmail.com>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: bacabre
>>
>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> ------
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote=
> :

> cabre,
>> but in
>> >>>

>> http://vote.sparklit.com/comments.spark?contentID=3D1047430&pollID=3D1000=
> 416

>> Charge of

>> > --
>> >
>> > =C2 From "bizarre" maybe.
>>
>> This is more what I was looking for, unless as per Wilson's language
>> change perspective, the speaker would say "hey bom, could you bake be
>> some buffins?"
>>
>> --
>> Randy Alexander
>> Jilin City, China
>> My Manchu studies blog:
>> http://www.bjshengr.com/manchu

> --=20
> "There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
> Platypus"

-Wilson
–––
-----