Eggcorn: carousel >> carousal

Mark Mandel Mark.A.Mandel at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 15 21:26:26 UTC 2009

That is not an eggcorn. I'd call it a simple misspelling, possibly a
cupertino. From the "about" page of the Eggcorn Database (
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/about/):

The criteria of how to identify eggcorns have also been clarified. Not every
> homophone substitution is an eggcorn. The crucial element is that the new
> form makes sense: for anyone except lexicographers or other people trained
> in etymology, more sense than the original form in many cases.

The OED notes the frequent confusion (or variation in spelling, to look at
it another way) but the definition --

A fit of carousing, a drinking-feast or carouse; revelry in drinking.

-- is IMHO not at all "obviously to do with music": revelry is a pretty thin
connection. The words are not phonologically similar at all: /k@ 'raU z at l/
vs. /,kae r@ 'sEl/. Different stress, different vowels in all three
syllables, z vs. s.