No pain, no g ähn?

Lynne Miles-Morillo lynne.milesmorillo at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 16 01:42:23 UTC 2009

I can hear how gähn and can could rhyme to a German ear.  I, too, learned
intially that gähnen sounds like dehnen or zehn or other /e/ vowels, but
many Germans actually pronounce that ä more openly & more toward the center,
closer but not quite all the way to /3/ (see that symbol flipped for the
open-mid short-e vowel, please; can't get the curly e on this system) than
to the /e/ vowel.
In fact, if you listen closely to some speakers of German (and is more true
some dialects than others, but my mental map isn't coming up with *whose*
dialect this is), their /ae/ sound in English words (such as can) is a vowel
that's a little higher than in the speech of many native speakers of
English, a little closer to the /3/ sound.  In other words, for those
speakers, gähn *does* rhyme with can!

Great observation; thanks for the forward to the original poster.

Lynne MM