"couch" = to hedge

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 16 14:01:42 UTC 2009

I don't understand.  If Jon means that the "predictable
associated  phrase" can't be suppressed without losing the meaning,
then what about "1880 J. CAIRD Philos. Relig. vii. 195 Materialistic
metaphors under which our spiritual conceptions are couched."?  And I
think none of the OED's quotations under 15.b include such a
phrase.  For instance, the "under which" of 1880 does not address the
notion of caution, just the mode of expression of the couching.  And
the "1691 E. TAYLOR tr. Behmen's Theos. Philos. 410 The whole New
Testament is couched up in the Old." doesn't have a "cautiously" phrase either.

Joel