"Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

Thu Sep 17 20:36:28 UTC 2009

I did not need to know that. Why is he telling us this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:37:18
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

In addition to his renown in the field of theology and his being one of the
few Jesuits ever to be elevated to the cardinalate in the history of the
Catholic Church, Avery,Cardinal Dulles is known for being the nephew of the
late John, Foster Dulles. ;-)
-Wilson

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

> A few years ago, my wife and I attended a seminar at Luther Seminary
> in St. Paul, MN, on the Lutheran-Catholic Joint Declaration on the
> Doctrine of Justification.  One of the speakers was Avery Cardinal
> Dulles, who was introduced and referred to that way by both Lutheran
> and Catholic participants.  The form isn't completely gone.
>
> Herb
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: "Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

> > Well, they've done away with {Forename,] Cardinal [Surname]! What did you
> > expect?! Expect "Lord George G. Byron" any day, now.
> > -Wilson
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Jonathan Lighter
> > <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> -----------------------
> >> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >> Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> >> Subject:      "Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

> > ------
> >>
> >> Smiling my sardonic "what-did-you-expect?" smile, I used to correct
> >> students
> >> who infallibly referred to "Lord Alfred Tennyson."
> >>
> >> I'd still do it, although these days I can't muster even a sardonic
> smile=
> > .
> >> Google shows that "Alfred, Lord Tennyson,"
> >> outnumbers the other chap by nearly ten to one, at least in raw hits.
> >>
> >> But "Lord Alfred" is on the rise:
> >>
> >> 2009 Samantha Henig "Periscope" in_Newsweek_ (Jan. 12): Lord Alfred
> >> Tennyson's "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
> >> JL
> >> --
> >> "There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
> >> Platypus"

> > --=20
> > -Wilson
> > =96=96=96
> > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> com=
> > from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > =96Mark Twain

-Wilson
–––
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to come
from the mouths of people who have had to live.
–Mark Twain