Teenglish from England

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 18 15:04:05 UTC 2009

We are starting to see many witnesses that say that folks do not hear long e in the word "English/England" for that first vowel.  Some say they say they hear short i as in "ingrain, into, inches".  But this is not what we hear when we listen to m-w.com or thefreedictionary.com.

What is weird is to say that folks when saying "England" are trying to say short i (even though the letter is e"), but that the velar N changes it.  Why try to say a short i when the letter is e.  Wouldn't it be logical to try to say a short e.

We really shouldn't care if a ventriloquist is saying sounds in a completely different manner than usual.  It's the sounds that we hear that matters.  To say that a person is trying to say a short i (as in "in") for the "e" in "England (God knows why) but it comes out incorrectly as a long e does not make sense.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/