Amazoned (was Re: Fwd:: Fiction and / Fiction about Grammar (UNCLASSIFIED))

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 22 14:28:58 UTC 2009

At 6:49 AM -0500 9/22/09, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>  >
>>  And I even amazoned him before misspelling his name.
>

>Not sure if this has been discussed with any depth here (if so, you are free
>to ignore me but I didn't see it in the archives), but this use of "amazon"
>as a verb (in the same manner as "to google") is new to me. After a quick
>Google search, I didn't find see "to amazon" as to search Amazon.com but
>I did find another verb usage for "amazon."
>
>The Boston Globe | June 17, 1999| Steven Syre and Charles Stein, Globe Staff
>"Once companies worried about being taken over. Today they worry about being
>"Amazoned," which means waking up one day and finding that an Internet
>upstart has stolen a big chunk of their business."
>I'm guessing there might be other senses as well.
>
>Scot

Using "amazon" as a transitive verb meaning "search for on
amazon.com" isn't that unusual. If you google "amazoned it" you'll
pull up "about 215" hits.  I imagine there are a lot more with
"amazon" as a verb and a book title, author name, etc. as its object.

LH