Off-gliding to G

Tue Sep 22 20:07:38 UTC 2009

TZ has been saying he has (and all of us have) this feature for a
long time.  I don't notice it as being more common here in MI; I do
notice it in the speech of various Easterners (not all from "Longg
Island") as a minority form.  It's stereotypically associated with
certain ethnic groups (Jewish, Polish, Russian, German), but I
certainly know others not from these ethnic groups who have it.
Again, I don't see it as increasing, but then I haven't lived in
Greater NY since 1988.

Paul Johnston