Off-gliding to G

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Wed Sep 23 11:37:06 UTC 2009

I probably do this from time to time, but my sister-in-law (native of South
London) does it a LOT, though the rest of her family doesn't.  I associate
it with a certain kind of over-enunciative talking that has a certain
'lilt' to it as well.  (Sorry, not a very good description.)

Lynne

--On 22 September 2009 12:27 -0700 Grant Barrett
<gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG> wrote:

> I received this query from a listener to the radio show and wonder if
> anyone has any thoughts about it. Is it something you've noticed
> yourself as being more common? Can you recommend reading on this
> particular habit?
>
>> I wondered if you were aware that, in your broadcasts, you tend to
>> pronounce a hard G at the ends of words like "sing". I am running
>> into this habitual off-gliding more and more with my acting
>> students. When I point this out to them, they are shocked that you
>> could say a word like "sing" without that hard G sound.
>

> Grant Barrett
> gbarrett at worldnewyork.org

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics