nightwalking

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 24 17:44:21 UTC 2009

At 9/24/2009 11:24 AM, George Thompson wrote:
>Warning:  an offering from an English major here.
>
>This is what Dogberry and the other nightwatchmen are supposed to
>do, in Much Ado About Nothing.
>
>Dogberry: This is your charge, you shall comprehend all vagrom men,

Thanks, George, I had forgotten this scene and "vagrom" (not in the
OED again until 1863).  I think I have a place to use it myself!

>you are to bid any man stand, in the prince's name.
>Seacoal: How if a will not stand?
>Dogberry: Why then take no note of him. but let him go, . . . and
>thank God you are rid of a knave.

Additional evidence that the law was more carefully enforced in New
England than in old.  (The colonists liked to read about the highway
robberies and (executed) highway robbers of unsafe old
England.  There were no executions for robbery on the highways or
common streets in New England until after the Revolution, by which
time returning colonial soldiers would have observed the poor model
of  the British soldier for obedience to the law.)

Joel