Off-gliding to G

Fri Sep 25 19:55:57 UTC 2009

It was (according to Roger Lass) usual in true upper-class speech as
late as the early 20c.
Ii was the MIDDLE classes --in the British sense here--who were
especially conscious of "correctness".  The upper classes set  the
tone (and here, were apparently just being conservative, retaining
the reflex of ME -inde/-ende) and didn't have to worry about adopting
a spelling pronunciation as much.

Paul Johnston