Off-gliding to G

Fri Sep 25 20:20:02 UTC 2009

i remember hearing a paper Jim Milroy gave at one of the
Sociolinguistic Symposia (using some Labov material) where he showed
that we all are more likely to use [-In] in the old -inde cases
(participles) than in the -ing cases (gerunds, verbal nouns).  Not
that people don't use either form throughout, but the frequency of -
in' for participles will be higher if there's any variation.  Works
for me, certainly.  I'm more likely to say "I'm buildin a shed", than
either "The buildin of that shed took all summer" or "That buildin
over there was built in 1983".  Participles are more frequent in
speech, too, though.

Paul Johnston