Why Indonesians have difficulty with English

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 27 00:46:54 UTC 2009

There's a Reuters article dated 10/17/2003 reporting Korean parents
having the membrane under their children's tongues slit so that they
can speak English without a Korean accent.  I have a copy on line but
unfortunately not a link.  Here's the first paragraph:

"Chop a centimeter or so off your tongue and become a fluent English
speaker. That is the hope that recently drove one mother to take her
six-year-old son for surgery aimed at ridding him of his Korean accent
when speaking the language of choice in global business."

I think I can email individuals a copy, but copyright prevents me from
pasting the whole article into a listserv message.

Herb