OT: language origin and creationism

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 02:12:01 UTC 2010

Much of the discussion in this thread assumes that a fundamentalist
shares with us basic assumptions about evidence and truth.  The claims
in the article and the claims the student would like to make are based
on faith.  In this frame of reference (I slipped and typed <v> for
<f>), the details of Genesis 1 are fact.  Anything that disagrees with
them is folly.  Any methodology that leads anywhere but to the
historical and scientific truth of Genesis 1 is not based on faith and
therefore is misguided.  At this stage there generally isn't much
common ground to build on.  Some students do end up rejecting the
fundamentalism they've grown up with, but it usually comes as a result
of questions raised by a lot of courses and a lot of bull sessions.

I've told such students that I don't require that they believe what
they learn and read in my class, but I hold them responsible for it on
tests.

Herb