Twain quote about his father's ignorance and surprising maturation (update 1915 December)

Fri Apr 2 05:43:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:

> When Google restricts access to snippet view it makes sense to check
> www.archive.org and www.hathitrust.org because the same work is
> occasionally available in full view. This advice is particularly
> pertinent to public domain works. This is also old advice to all but
> neophytes (like me). Thanks to a librarian named Dan at the University
> of Michigan who directed me to the Hathi Trust archive, and thanks to
> Bill Mullins who mentioned Hathi Trust several months ago.
[snip]

See also my Sep. '08 Language Log post after HathiTrust made its debut:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=602

And followup discussion here:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0809C&L=ADS-L&P=R3325

--Ben Zimmer