OT: language origin and creationism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 2 14:12:46 UTC 2010

Much of this may be considered OT, so feel free to delete now.

When I was teaching that sort of freshman assignment, mostly before ID burst
on the scene, I found that a great many students simply had no sense of how
to evaluate sources. When I was eighteen, I had very little myself, but
these kids often assumed that it was actually illegal to publish anything as
fact that was not true. (The Internet has doubtless made them more skeptical
- in principle, if not always in terms of what they already think.)

Influenced by democracy, the students' general attitude seemed to be that a
majority claim is always correct.  Creationist students often come from
backgrounds where the local opinion on evolution is
unanimous. Creationism's appeal is enhanced by the suspicion that many in
the evolutionist "minority" are twisting the evidence because they have been
enticed to reject God, and denying His creation makes them feel good. So
they may assume, among other things, that if you're the honest intelligent
person you seem to be, you probably believe in creationism already. An easy
A!  If not, they've at least struck a blow for Truth and you've confirmed
what they've heard all along about liberal professors.

The most controversial papers they turned in undoubtedly were about
abortion. In those cases I felt that my job was to show them how to analyze
the arguments of both sides, see what they were based on and how they were
conducted (loaded language was a frequent and telling factor). I figured
that after that the students would at least know why they believed what they
believed, and why others differed, which was as far as I felt I needed
to take it.

The students in my experience were far more likely to be incredibly naive
than perversely adversarial.

JL