protest = 'demonstrate in public to draw attention to'

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sat Apr 3 04:15:46 UTC 2010

Commenters on my blog called attention to this sense wrt a recent post:

<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2010/03/protesting-prepositions.html>

--On Friday, April 2, 2010 18:05 -0400 Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> _All Things Considered_ reported this evening on about 36 teenagers who
> were chanting "We need jobs!" outside a municipal agency.
>
> According to the highly paid journalist-narrator, they were "protesting
> the need for jobs."
>
> Kind of like Mrs. McCain becoming an "advocate for" migraines.
>
> JL
> --
> "If the truth is half as bad as I think it is, you can't handle the
> truth."

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
Arts B357