Fwd: Re: Popsicle

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 4 05:17:51 UTC 2010

I am still trying to figure out why there are so many references to
Epperson coining Creamsicle, Fudgesicle, etc.

First TM on Creamsicle is from 1937--Note "first use 1937 01 15
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4007:355e7q.2.17
==
Word Mark       CREAMSICLE
Goods and Services      (EXPIRED) IC 030. US 046. G & S: FROZEN
CONFECTIONS. FIRST USE: 19370115. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19370115
Mark Drawing Code       (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   71389922
Filing Date     March 11, 1937
Registration Number     0348492
Registration Date       July 27, 1937
Owner   (REGISTRANT) JOE LOWE CORPORATION CORPORATION DELAWARE NO. 601
WEST 26TH STREET NEW YORK NEW YORK
Renewal 2ND RENEWAL 19770727
==

Although the "first use" is listed as 1938, Dreamsicle was not
registered until 1954, when the Creamsicle mark was updated--the
earlier one had letters written horizontally, both of the new ones had
them a slight upward incline. The next round of changes (e.g.,
Creamsicle Jr.) occurred in 1979-1981. Fudgesicle was first filed in
1946, then updated with the new logo in 1954.

Do note that these records can be sometimes misleading, as there is no
record of Popsicle until the 2000s, when Unilever registered the
original mark and started opposing all others (for some reason there
have been several -sicle marks attempted to be associated with tanning
salons). In fact, there is no actual record that Popsicle has become
genericized.

There is a large number of variants, mostly in the 2000s. One of the best ones:
==
Word Mark        POOPCICLE
Goods and Services      (ABANDONED) IC 001. US 001 005 006 010 026 046. G &
S: AEROSOL CHEMICAL SPRAY FOR THE SOLIDIFICATION AND HARDENING OF
ANIMAL WASTE
Serial Number   77535014
Filing Date     July 30, 2008
Published for Opposition         December 23, 2008
Owner   (APPLICANT) TPK Industries, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
ILLINOIS 20 Arthur Court Deerfield ILLINOIS 60015
Live/Dead Indicator     DEAD
Abandonment Date        March 29, 2010
==

Given the abandonment date, anyone can have it now, fresh off the
line--you just need a product to go with it.

Given the timeline, the fact that Epperson and his successors never
applied for trademark registration until there was serious danger of
genericization, and that all other trademarks were filed by Joe Lowe
Corp., it seems doubtful, at best, that Epperson himself coined the
names other than the original Popsicle. There is a lot of noise out
there. About the only thing that's definite is the fact that Epperson
did coin the term (or perhaps, successfully stole it from someone
else) and that he first filed a patent and went national in 1923.
Everything else is problematic.

VS-)