the great "cool" debate

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 5 05:46:58 UTC 2010

To be honest, I am utterly confused as to which "modern" meaning of
"cool" is being discussed. Is it "cool customer" cool?--Well, that
goes back to at least 1860s. Is it "unflappable" cool (a lot like
"cool customer", only more so)?--That's been in the blues songs since
before WWII. Is it "popular" cool, as in "all the cool kids in
school"? Is it "cool" as "indifferent", as a variation of "cold"
(usually "cool to")? "cool" as "accepting" ("cool with")? "cool" as
"exciting" (the Cheech and Chong version, "That's cool, man!" but as
an adjective)? "cool" as in "I like it" (similar to Chong "cool", but
not as emphatic and applies to specific items, "cool jacket")?

I don't have HDAS in front of me, so I don't have the corresponding
numbers. But they all seem to be in modern usage and all different
(some completely different, some different in degrees), although many
would end up as variants under the same entry in something like the
OED. So which of these are we talking about? I've spotted maybe half
the meaning in this thread so far of the ones I am aware of.

It seems a part of the problem in TLS is that a lot of people are
talking at cross purposes and not really identifying the same item.
Given the snippets of the review--not having read either the book or
the review--I have no idea what the reviewer was complaining about as
being anachronistic. And the use George Thompson cites /in/ the review
is ambiguous, at best.

VS-)