Popsicle

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 5 17:38:39 UTC 2010

At 4:23 PM +0100 4/5/10, Damien Hall wrote:
>Larry and Paul commented on the non-pronunciation of the /s/ in
>'Fudgesicle'. Possibly it is dialectal, but isn't the simplest explanation
>phonetic / phonological? It seems to me very likely that in a sequence of
>
>affricate /J/ + fricative /s/
>
>- which could be simplified to
>
>(/d/ +) voiced fricative /Z/ + fricative /s/
>
>one of the two will get elided, at least in fast speech. If you believe in
>the Obligatory Contour Principle (not saying I don't, but not everyone
>does!), that would be one way of describing it.

Phonology/phonetics is relevant to be sure, but I'd never pronounce
John Hodgson's name [haJ at n] rather than [haJs at n], and I'm sure it's
not just frequency (in that this would be the case even I were
Hodgson's cousin, or Jon Stewart, or the other guy in those Mac vs.
PC commercials).  As you point out, the case for the phonological
explanation can be rendered more compelling than just [Js] > [J], but
I really do believe that my underlying form was "Fudgicle" and not
"Fudgesicle".  I suspect that the first time I heard the /s/
pronounced therein I assumed the speaker was blending "Fudgicle" with
"creamsicle".

LH