waxing rhapsodic

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 5 18:17:54 UTC 2010

Aside from Alice Faber "waxing rhapsodic about Salisbury steak" back in
July of 2001, the expression has not come up on this list, it seems.

http://bit.ly/bGwHnj

At the risk of falling for the recency fallacy that I have warned
against, on occasion, I want to suggest that this usage is on the rise,
and much of it without a hint of irony that it used to carry. (Although
the one below does appear sarcastic.)

 From Dan Kennedy (formerly of the Boston Phoenix):

> At BoingBoing, Cory Doctorow waxes rhapsodic over the days when the
> Apple II Plus came with schematics for the circuit boards, and quotes
> something called the “Maker Manifesto” in writing, “Screws not glue.”
> Doctorow’s point is that we should be able to rip our devices apart
> and customize them the way we like. Needless to say, Doctorow is not
> talking to too many people — just his fellow hackers.
http://bit.ly/dw6Li7

The earliest GB hits are from 1902 and 1915, with roughly 60 raw hits
from the 1930s and 1940s. Compare that to 600 raw hits from 2005+.

VS-)