Popsicle

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Tue Apr 6 14:28:41 UTC 2010

Perhaps I'm a freak, but I keep the /s/ and say it as fudge-sicle.
And fudge-icle sounds really odd to me.

 From the little that I understood of Damien Hall's analysis, I agree
that there's reasons for folks to ellide the /s/. I don't do
phonology/phonetics because I have a tin ear, but there seems to me
to be a different quality to the /i/ between the pronunciation with
the /s/ and the one without. Am I just fooling myself? (See mention
of the tin ear above.)

---Amy West