invading Pearl Harbor

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 8 16:31:26 UTC 2010

Back in February I noted the academic who in 2006  mentioned the Japanese
"invasion" of Pearl Harbor (though damned if I can find the discussion in
the Archives).

He wasn't alone:

1996 Clarice Swisher, ed. _Readings on John Steinbeck_ (San Diego:
Greenhaven Press) 22: He finished the manuscript...just before the Japanese
invasion of Pearl Harbor in December 1941.

Ignorance of semantics or of history?  A cynical s.o.b. might suggest that
these characterizations (and presumably a million others unrecorded) of the
attack as an "invasion" may mask a genuine ignorance of history. If the
Japanese really "invaded," then the "invasion" was obviously repulsed. In
that case the devastating air attack was secondary to the failed invasion.

So we won at Pearl Harbor. No biggie.

JL