OT: Youneverknow. Was "Maxim"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 10 16:33:14 UTC 2010

Back in the '70's, I once commented to a roommate (Ivan. Y'all know
'im, Larry and Mark, dont'cha?), "Figures don't lie, but liars sure
figure."

He was stunned, having never heard before! In fact, he even thought
that I had invented it on the spot! He was all set to go bragging to
friends about his roomie's brilliant gift of gab. Fortunately, I was
able to calm him down, before releasing him back into the wild.

OTOH, if anyone had asked me at that time who had originated it, I
would have guessed, "Mark Twain."

OT: According to the local broadshhe, when IKEA first came into the
States, they were amazed by an unexpected surge in sales of vases. It
turns out that larger-than-life Americans were buying them for use as
drinking glasses.

--
-Wilson
–––