Boughten

Darla Wells lethe9 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 12 16:44:23 UTC 2010

They used to tell us kids to quieten down and I heard boughten a few times
too usually with was. This was in the Ark-La-Tex area in the 60's and early
70's. My stepmother's family used it; they were very country people, not
sure where they were from originally. They were kind of Appalachian sounding
to my inexperienced ears.
Darla

2010/4/11 Grant Barrett <gbarrett at worldnewyork.org>

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
> Subject:      Re: Boughten

> Also see MWDEU on "quieten":
>
> http://bit.ly/cMuPGE
>
> Also, we had a caller to the radio show (which we didn't answer on the
> air) recently who asked about "broughten" which googles passably well:
>
> http://bit.ly/aYlXen
>
> Grant Barrett
> grantbarrett at gmail.com

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning. -Catherine Aird