The loo &c.

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 13 01:46:44 UTC 2010

Et tu, Alison? The etymological fallacy coils and strikes unseen!

"As with so many euphemisms, it has for all practical purposes lost
the inoffensive original meaning, to the extent that no one now thinks
of it as a euphemism at all. Â It is permanently tainted with
excrement." Therefore it is *not* a euphemism in today's English, any
more than "boycott" is a proper name requiring a capital "B".

m a m