"eat lunch on" something

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 21 00:46:36 UTC 2010

On 4/20/10 8:08 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> Is there not an expression "eat lunch on" something, meaning
> something like (I don't know quite how to put it) "greatly enjoy
> ridiculing, finding the flaws in, etc."? Can I find it discussed somewhere?

I'm not familiar with that one, but here's a link with two other
figurative uses of lunch "make X eat his lunch"/"hand him his lunch":

http://www.examiner.com/x-2711-Boston-Bruins-Examiner~y2010m3d11-The-Bruins-need-to-hand-Matt-Cooke-his-lunch
.

While some of the Google hits are literal, many are not:

<http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/04/noah-on-kg-im-going-to-say-it-hes-a-dirty-player.html#comment-315008>

"K.G. was an awesome player,but has always been a bully,always fouling
the smaller guys hard posturing,but never facing up the big strong
guys,but instead crying to the refs when the big guys hand him his
lunch.Man up punk ass pick on someone your own size" (this is a fan comment)

A 2004 blog post: <http://mhking.mu.nu/archives/047949.php> (about a
potentially defamatory license plate)

And from a recent political blog post
<http://jammiewearingfool.blogspot.com/2010/02/scott-brown-schools-joey-plugs.html>

"The next time the Obama folks decide to trot out Joe Biden, they might
want to at least make sure he's got the talking points in order. Not
only did Dick Cheney hand him his lunch yesterday, today Massachusetts
Senator Scott Brown unloaded on the Vice Moron."

To the extent that anything regional here, it's Massachusetts. And,
surprisingly, hockeyfights.com:
<http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/40599> (scroll down to comment by
bluemang.

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963