AP changes to 'website'

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed Apr 21 21:36:03 UTC 2010

An additional complication here is that I think we conceptualize the Internet as a real place (like Antarctica, or Toronto) where we go to get stuff. Or maybe it's more like Walmart or Sears.
In any case, I suspect it has a lot of the attributes of a proper noun (there's only one of them--I must say I'm a little rusty on the philosophical discussions about them--definite descriptions, I think). In any case, I think it's a little silly to argue about it--we can observe both behaviors, and, as someone mentioned earlier, the semantically-based contrast is pretty much non-existent.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)