Eyjafjallajokull from an icelander

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Apr 22 17:57:13 UTC 2010

Pretty much 'what Paul said'.

In addition, for many Americans, /t/ before /l/ is actually pronounced as a glottal stop--i.e. there is no tongue-tip contact at all, in words like 'cutlet', 'outlaw'.
For examples like 'bottle', 'huddle' the /l/ is a whole syllable by itself (something that Mr. Z has disputed, but this is confirmed by spectrograms and x-rays), and the sound is actually a [d] for many speakers, not even a flap.
The t-l affricate simply doesn't exist in most dialects of English, but you can hear it twice in the Icelandic example provided (once between vowels--'Fjalla', and once in word-final position in 'Jokull'

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)