Eyjafjallajokull from an icelander

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 22 19:06:54 UTC 2010

Victor,

/tl/ does not occur in syllable-initial position in English, but it
does, as you show, occur across syllable boundaries in British
English.  However, these sequences are not what Icelandic has, where
the /t/ is released on the side of the tongue rather than at the
front, hence a "laterally released /t/."  In languages that have this
sound it typically counts as a single consonant, not a cluster or a
sequence.

Herb