Eyjafjallajokull from an icelander (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Apr 22 21:20:35 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Eyjafjallajokull from an icelander

> --------
>
> I don't dispute that "huddle" is two syllables, but notation that
would
> write it "hudl" would be bad because how would you foespel
> (phonetically spell) "huddling" to show 3 syllables.  To foespel it
> "hudling" would look like 2 syllables.  In truespel it's ~hudool and
> ~hudooleeng (where ~ool is as in "wool".

Unless you pronounce "wool" in a way unlike any I've ever heard, saying
that the final syllable of "huddle" and the middle syllable of
"huddling" is somehow similar to "wool" is just wrong.