Rocks for Jocks, etc. (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Apr 26 23:02:39 UTC 2010

Dave Wilton wrote:
> I would guess "Darkness at Noon" is art history, due to the slide
> presentations characteristic of the course,  a.k.a. "Art in the Dark."

That agrees with the list of college course nicknames given in the
Dictionary of Jargon excerpt listed below. The interpretation given by
John Baker for "nuts and sluts" is supported, and the class mentioned
by Gregory McNamee is included in the list.

Citation: 1987, Dictionary of Jargon by Jonathon Green, Page 124,
Routledge. (Google Books limited view)

blabs in labs (linguistics),
chokes and croaks (first aid and safety education),
clapping for credit (music appreciation),
darkness at noon (art history slide show),
Gods for clods (comparative religion),
holes and poles (sex education), …
nuts and sluts (abnormal psychology),
… Several more are listed in the text.